[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ WIVES - Hardin?

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:37:49 +0100

Nancy said
> The article also failed to mention Louis Armstrong's wife, Lillian Hardin,
> who is credited with pushing Louis to go on his own -- which he did in
1924,
> and within two years was recording with his Hot Fives and Hot Sevens.
> More than Louis' wife, Hardin was also a jazz pianist, arranger,
songwriter,
> band leader, and singer who cut 26 records for Decca.

Agree. She was no musical slouch and developed as a pianist. I was listening
to here version of Jelly's The Pearls that my good friend Mike Pointon used
in his recent BBC Documentary "Melly on Jelly". She was a a powerful player
and in no small way encouraged Louis' musical gifts.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com