[Dixielandjazz] Bass: acoustic vs electric

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@earthlink.net, JazzHarmonicat@hotmail.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:22:35 -0400

Our bass player uses a German double bass made 134 years ago in Dresden.
It has been broken by a drunk and twice glued back together and still sounds
fantastic.
Our player both bows and plucks -- jazz standards.

He also plays an electric bass on an intro he wrote to a Chick Corea tune we do.

(As you know, Chick Corea is not exactly what this list calls OKOM.)

I think an electric bass looks out of place in a trad jazz band.
However, the good double basses cost several thousand dollars each,
so I can understand someone not wanting to invest in one.

--
Henry Stinson, BSECE, Website Developer and Software Engineer (Visual Basic)
Vocalist, Jazz Harmonica, Jazz Whistling and "Mouth Trumpet".