FW: Fender bass [was: [Dixielandjazz] Answer to the Million...

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:23:09 -0500

>>>Sorry, Randy, a good acoustic dog-house double bass has overtones that
can't be duplicated on an electric
-- plus, it can be bowed to quite nice effect (yes, in jazz).

Henry....
    Unless you spend a lot of time at the symphony, you won't find many GOOD
acoustic basses in the jazz/dance/pop world.  They're mostly plywood.
Plywood is rugged and dependable, and have their overtones frequently in the
wrong places.  With a GOOD bass, you never know when it will develop a new
squeak, rattle or other problem.
     Also, I have two very nice French bass bows.  But I haven't bowed a
bass since the early sixties, when I was playing big shows.  That was the
last time I bowed or did any serious reading.
     Pat Cooke