[Dixielandjazz] Electric Bass and the sound man

GWW174@aol.com GWW174@aol.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:56:32 EDT

It's been my experience that mic-ing the bass amp is not always necessary -
depends a lot on the venue size and the strength of the band.  For sure, an
accoustic bass, sans amp, needs help.  I have found that many of the bass
players have a heavy foot to the pedal so to speak - i.e.  too much volume on
their bass amp.  At least once every other festival, someone in the audience
comes to the sound man and asks us to turn down the bass microphone only to
find that the microphone was OFF.   It seems that a lot of bass players have
their amps louder than necessary for a good sound blend at the audience.

However, I can understand that when you play bass.... your sound is coming
out of a little box (bass amp) in front of you and down at your feet......the
drummer is in your left ear.... the piano in your right ear..and the front
line is blowing the melody away from you.....you might just have a little
problem hearing your own plucking.  The tendency would be to turn up your own
volume so you can hear what you are doing.

Might try an experiment on the next festival to provide a special monitor
near the bass player so he/she can hear the front line and their own sound.

Any bass players have any suggestions/thoughts.

Gordon