[Dixielandjazz] First Impressions - was Million Dollar Question

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:03:55 -0400

Bill Sargent said :
> Anybody who's been performing for any length of time should already
know
> that first impressions are lasting ones, and the first minute of a
> performance is probably the one of the most important determining
> factors of how that performance will be perceived.

And then Paul Edgerton wrote:

I'd have to disagree with this as it is stated. The first minute may
grab
the listener's attention, but all he is likely to remember is the last
chorus.

List mates:

Both are correct. "The first minute of a performance is one of the most
important determining factors of how that performance is perceived."
Bill is talking about perception, not what the audience remembers.

And Paul is not really disagreeing when he says "all he is likely to
remember is the last chorus."

They are two different subjects. I will guarantee you, however, if that
first minute sucks, the average listener will probably not be around to
listen to the last chorus. And the perception will be that the band
sucks.

Bill's advice to start strong and then finish strong, is basic to the
audience perception of how your band performed on that particular set,
or gig.  The middle part is largely forgotten, except by the really
knowledgeable listeners who are few and far between.

Just like how well we recall events in our lives. We remember the first
part, say from 10 to 25 years old pretty well and the past 5 years
pretty well. Everything else, well mostly everything else, is much more
blurred. Or am I the only one who sees it this way?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone