Fender bass [was: [Dixielandjazz] Answer to the Million...

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:59:57 -0400

At 08:20 AM 7/18/2002 -0400, Ron L'Herault wrote:
>Maybe the problem with seeing a Fender bass is that many players will play
>them as if they were in a rock band and not a jazz band.

I haven't used an electric bass for dixieland gigs, but did in my dance
band for many years. My bassist played it so that to non-musician ears it
might as well have been an accoustic, and I've come to know a few others
who can do the same...My current bassist uses an old, I think Ampeg (?),
bass guitar that sounds close enough for most purposes, when we need the
old sound.

--Sheik