[Dixielandjazz] Answer to the Million Dollar Question

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:45:07 -0500

on 7/17/02 6:25 PM, Patrick Cooke at patcooke@cox.net wrote:

> No sustain, hardly even
> musical....a terrible sounding instrument.  Yet this bass was accepted by
> the trad elite, and most everybody else, because "it looked right".

    Distinguishes me from the Trad Elite (didn't even concieve of such):
because I thought those damned things sucked the first time I ever heard
one.  Smiling memory: "accidentally" dropped one into 80 fathoms of Lake
Michigan as we were loading onto the ferry for the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw
Island.  That sucker is still there, grossing out the fishes.

Charlie Hooks