[Dixielandjazz] Factionalism

Plectrum Joe plecjo@netscape.net
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:26:58 +1000

Ok - Patrick and Steve overlooked the leg-pulling on my earlier message
and raise some good points about modern chording on banjos.

Funny but, I cannot get the same satisfaction out of playing extended
chords on the banjo as I can on the guitar. It's not just the limit of 4
notes but the sound of the instrument. The banjo has too many overtones
and harmonics produced by the head and metal tone-ring. IMHO that is why
the 6-string version did not catch on. And, you cannot mount a triple
humbucker on a vellum and plug a banjo into your Marshall. Electric
banjo sounds awful.

There are some contemporary virtuosos of the various banjo formats now
crossing into different musical styles, blending and pushing the
boundaries. Buddy Wachter, Doug Mattocks, Bela Fleck for instance.

The tenor banjo, being tuned the same as a viola, lends itself best to
single note playing which opens it to any musical style. I like playing
a plectrum (4-string) guitar too but, the 6-string always comes out if
there is no piano. Not enough depth, I am told.

keeping a stiff upper lip

Jo