[Dixielandjazz] Festival attendees

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:00:48 -0400

Perry writes: (polite snip)

BUT, it does lend a bit of credence to what I have been saying for a
number of years regarding the attendees at these Jazz Festivals events:
The
bulk of these people ARE NOT JAZZ/BIG BAND fans  but rather a certain
percentage of older people who just wish to get away for a few days,
bring
back some memories of their youth, and spend some "Quality Time" with
their
"Peers" AND incidentally enjoy some music!

Perry & List Mates

Right on, Perry. Except that I think they are fans, but for the most
part not really knowledgeable fans. And I would say that the same is
true of the majority of people who enjoy music or art or ?  People who
enjoy music are music fans, however most of them are not really
knowledgeable about the music to which they listen as well as the music
to which they do not listen.

But then, isn't that true about most things. How many real experts are
there on any given subject in the world, as a percentage of people in
the world who have opinions on that subject?

And my, how opinions do change. Last week we kidded dear Nancy Giffin
because she likes to see a well dressed band. Hear the music we said.
And now we say people hear with their eyes as well as their ears.
Hmmmmmm. Are we hoisted on our own petards?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone