[Dixielandjazz] Give Jazz A Chance

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:09:30 -0400

It is understandable that some folks do not like "Modern Jazz".  But
before we dismiss it all as crap, it is also well to note that in the
latter stages of their careers, OKOM luminaries like Coleman Hawkins and
Artie Shaw put out some "modern" stuff. Hawkins especially liked to sit
in at Minton's Playhouse in the 1940s with the young turks. Well also to
note that he made an album circa 1944 and specifically chose Monk to
play piano on the date.

And, yes I must clarify Monk again. If you can't hear the melody in
everything he plays, then you are not listening. On the other hand if
you do not like the way he plays the melody that's your opinion and you
are entitled to it. Monks oft stated advice to those he played with, or
mentored was always: "Play The Melody, Not The Changes".

Re Parker, I would say that virtually every reed man who has ever heard
him was at the least impressed, if not totally awed. To state that his
blizzard of notes is crap is just a little harsh. Especially when it
comes for those who admire Benny Goodman or many in the current crop of
OKOM clarinet players who play blizzards of notes.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone