[Dixielandjazz] Give jazz a chance

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:50:32 +0100

Pat Cooke said succintly :

"Bird, Diz, Miles, and Lester didn't destroy anything.  OKOM, YKOM, or
whatever, is still there to listen to any time you want to.  They merely
added another dimension to jazz which you can choose to listen to or not
listen to.  Lighten up.
    Old brain cells find it difficult to comprehend new things...it requires
a little more effort, and you have to pay attention the way you did when you
were a teen.  After you listen attentively for a few weeks or months, it
comes to you a little easier. Try listening attentively to one tune at a
time over and over, the way you did then.  It is worth the effort...or you
can just sit there and grumble."

I'm not into Miles & Co., a conclusion I came to after hours of trying to
find something in their brand of tune-twisting which appealed to me.  Pat
has hit the nail squarely on the head - before judgement is passed on any
jazz music it must be listened to objectively - preferably at length - with
no hostile preconceptions. Try to avoid the tempting "I don't like it
therefore it must be crap" because the day might dawn when you see the
light, change your mind and kick yourself for your earlier poor musical
insight, as I did with Bird and Tatum for instance.

I can hardly believe now that there was a time in my teens when I refused to
listen to a band unless it had a banjo in the rhythm section .  .   .   .
.

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net