[Dixielandjazz] Turntable Junction

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:04:22 -0400

SLGTJB <slgtjb@earthlink.net>  wrote:

"Sacramento has a large venue in a tent "Turntable Junction" that is
used for
big group draws.  The Blues Bands, Zydeco, etc. play there along with
some
of the most popular Trad Bands such as High Sierra (two years ago) and
Fireworks (this past year).  The sound guys are rock and rollers, so all
you
hear is drums and bass.  Period.  I know people who have complained, but

these two dudes seem to be back every year.  Maybe Sacramento will get
the
picture someday and either replace the techs or forget about scheduling
anything but rock and roll in that tent. "

List mates:

Sometimes it is not the fault of the sound techs. If the preponderance
of the music in that venue is OK sound wise, then an OKOM band going in
there should have the sense to say a few words to the techs about how
they want the OMOM to sound. And to go a little bit further, the band
leader should  go out into the audience to hear how it sounds. It is the
band leader's responsibility, that's why he/she gets the big bucks. Get
there 10 minutes early and if the bass and drums are "Rock Music" loud,
adjust right then.

In that situation, and outdoors even with my own sound, Barbone Street
plays 2 in chorus's, on the first tune. I (clarinet) play part of the
first one and then go out into the audience to see how the second one
sounds. Then listen to brass solos, having them use both the brass mic
and my clarinet mic.

Then, I run back to the stand (ignoring my band mates waves to keep
going away :-), adjust the sound if needed, or talk to sound guys on the
way, and then we finish the tune.

We're doing an 11 band music festival this Sunday. Only OKOM and/or Jazz
band there. Have played it 6 years running now, surrounded by Rock and
who knows what else. I adjusted sound with the tech the first time. Ever
since then he says to his guys with a big smile. "Here comes Barbone
Street make the Jazz adjustments for these pros."

In my view, if Barbone Street has poor sound quality, it is my fault,
not the sound tech. (Unless he is bigger and stronger than me, and
refuses to adjust)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone