[Dixielandjazz] Million Dollar ?

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:47:09 -0600

First, let me say that I think being a festival director is one of the most
unrewarding, thankless jobs around. No matter what a gangbusters lineup you
choose, there will always be numerous questioners who ask why you DIDN'T
invite so-and-so and why you DID invite so-and-so. It's a no-win situation."
Wrote Bill Horton
I respectfully disagree.  I ran the St. Louis Festival for many years and it
was most rewarding.  I loved every minute of it and to this day continue
relations with friends and associates acquired during that time.
As to diversity (not the PC kind) we always tried to bring as much variety
as  could be conjured up.  I always had to have Turk and the Salty Dogs
because the audience expected it.  Beyond that I tried to have a differnet
foreign group every year,  a different "kid band" (we prided ourselves on
looking for up and coming young groups and giving them their first
professional exposure), and I always had an unusual group, e.g. The Etcetera
String Band.  We tried to represent different parts of the country as well.
Midwesterners at the time had not heard bands like the Hot Frogs or the
Royal Society and they were brought in to much acclaim.  I could go on but I
think the point is made.  I see festival lineups that are right off the
Xerox machine and I can sympathize with the idea that "they sell badges,"
but there is also something to be said for stretching your audience.  I
think we did that quite successfully in St. Louis and attendance grew every
year.  We were also attracting younger people.  At first they came down and
sat on the levee and listened for free but then they became full-fledged
ticket buyers.

In my opinion it can be a win-win situation.

Respectfully,
G. William Oakley