[Dixielandjazz] Million dollar question

GWW174@aol.com GWW174@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 02:24:57 EDT

Just returned from a great 3 day festival in Mammoth Lakes California.   A
very good and well-run festival in a wonderful environment - and directed by
two really nice people, Ken and Flossy.   Now the million dollar question...

Over the years of hearing a lot of OKOM and seeing a lot of live performances
at festivals I have noticed that bands fall into two distinct categories.

1.  Bands who are just outright fantastic.... dynamic.... stupendous.... Some
might use the words of "groovy or bit..in"   Use whatever superlative you
want but they are "top drawer".   You can usually tell who they are because
their performances are filled to capacity and everyone is having a blast.

2.  There are other bands who are good.  They play the right notes... great
musicians....good improv... good rhythm, good tune selections... good
interpretations...good arrangements... even good patter between
tunes...everything about them is "good" BUT they still don't fall into the
"dynimite class" of the first group.  You really can't find anything wrong
with these bands - but some might say that they can be boring at times.

So, WHY.

So let's have some ideas from everyone - band directors, musicians, and
listeners.  Am I the only one who has made this observation?  Don't think so.

I have a few ideas but would enjoy seeing what others may have to say on the
subject.

Gordon