[Dixielandjazz] Nothing on DJML; Musician's ears and other things

thompson thompson" <rebecca.e.thompson@verizon.net
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:22:19 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kashishian" <kash@ran.es>
To: <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 9:58 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] test

> No mail from DJML all day.  Weird!
>
> Jim
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
 Yes, I was out of town the first part of the week, and thought I would
NEVER get all the messages read.  NOW I suppose everyone is busy doing
"weekend" things.

I wanted to respond to the way musicians hear other musicians vs. the way
regular fans hear them.

I think it has to do with the education of the person.  When I first started
listening to OKOM, I could hardly tell one song from the other.  They all
sounded pretty much the same.  As I continued to listen. I learned the songs
and it really didn't matter WHO was playing, if I liked the song, I enjoyed
it.  Now, six years later and hundreds of hours listening to many bands,
artists, and songs, I am becoming more particular and able to hear ALL
instruments playing and not just the melody.  I am still not always able to
tell when someone misses their cord change, but I can tell when they are
played RIGHT and when they ADD to the overall piece.

In a way, it was better when I could enjoy only the song because as I am
becoming more critical, I am becoming more selective.  ...   BUT perhaps
that is good too, that I am able to ENJOY the jewels that are thrown in
every so often!

Rebecca
Flower Mound, TX