[Dixielandjazz] Re: Band Reviews

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:30:35 -0400

A while back, we were discussing jazz reviews on the list and someone
asked if I would post a Barbone Street Review.

Here is one from Kristen & Matt Hughes. We played their wedding last
year. Matt lived 600 miles away from our band home in Cleveland and
Kristen 150 miles away in North New Jersey. They decided to gate married
in the middle, in York Pennsylvania 100  miles away. The found our
schedule on the Philadelphia Jazz website and e mailed me to book the
gig. They wanted Dixieland Jazz, with a bit of Swing.

All night lone we played OKOM. Then, a lady came up and said: "I know
you are a jazz band and hesitate to ask, but could you play a Polka? The
lady in the wheel chair would love you for it."

We played a Polka medly. Pennsylvania Polka, Clarinet Polka, She's Too
Fat Polka and Just Because Polka. They wheeled the chair bound lady onto
the floor and a whole bunch of folks polka'd along with her until the
medly ended (10 Minutes?) They all collapsed in a heap laughing and
cheering.

Then we went back to our jazz format. Everybody loved it and couldn't
believe that Matt had booked such a great band, sight unseen, over the internet.

Here is a note from them, the kind of review we really love.

Cheers,
Steve

matt & kristen wrote:  (To Barbone Steet on July 8)

hi guys -  could we get your mailing address....just wanted to send out
a thank you...only a minor ten months after your spectacular job at our
wedding... thanks-

kristen and matt hughes.

Barbone Street replied July 8

Sure, snail mail is

Steve Barbone
Barbone Street Jazz Band
124 Lower Hopewell Road
Oxford, PA 19363

We still remember your wedding and the polkas we played, as well as the
jazz. And how your guests were surprised that you got a band on the
internet. We are doing about 15 jazzy weddings a year and still
surprising the guests.

Martha and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this year in
August and send you best wishes that you will do the same, 39 years from now.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Kristen Hughes replied July 9

thanks steve!
congrats on your 40th - and thanks for your best wishes!  39 years seems
very far away right now! and yes - the polkas made my mom and gran
especially happy!!  we could have never dreamed that things would work
out so well!  we just attended another cousin's wedding last week and on
THREE unrelated times, people came up to me and specifically said that
the band we had was fantastic and they had so much fun!  kudos to you!

kristen