[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Blackstone Hotel

BillSargentDrums@aol.com BillSargentDrums@aol.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:02:18 EDT

--part1_14f.10a655a0.2a5f222a_boundary

<<He played with my group at the Blackstone Hotel in Chicago one summer while
he was taking advanced courses at Vandercook.>>

All this talk about the Blackstone sure brings back memories.

I was the first one to play Flaming Sally's when it opened in the early '70s.
(1972 I think . . . maybe 1973) We did the first 5 or 6 week run for the
grand opening with Clyde McCoy.

The manager at that time, I believe his name was Henry Schlelein. His
favorite tune was Shrimp Boats Are Coming.

Beautiful place! Solid copper dance floor. All the gals dress like flaming
Sally with fishnets & short red outfits with big hair red wigs. (I dated one
for a time).

Opening night. All the press was there. Variety. Clyde was on pins and
needles.

It was during that run that Gene Bolen took me to the Gaslight Club and we
went to the back room and I first met Barrett Deems. Barrett was showing off
for us and split his mounted tom head during a solo . . . didn't stop played,
and asked me to come up and change the head while he continued his solo,
which I did. He never stopped and never missed a beat.

Anyway, I could go on, but I doubt anyone's interested anyway. Off to
Nashville & Indy for the weekend. If I think of any cute stories about it, I
put one up when I get back.

Bill Sargent
414-777-0100
BillSargent.com

--part1_14f.10a655a0.2a5f222a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&lt;&lt;He played with my group at the Blackstone Hotel in Chicago one summer while he was taking advanced courses at Vandercook.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="arial" LANG="0">&gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
All this talk about the Blackstone sure brings back memories.<BR>
<BR>
I was the first one to play Flaming Sally's when it opened in the early '70s. (1972 I think . . . maybe 1973) We did the first 5 or 6 week run for the grand opening with Clyde McCoy.<BR>
<BR>
The manager at that time, I believe his name was Henry Schlelein. His favorite tune was Shrimp Boats Are Coming.<BR>
<BR>
Beautiful place! Solid copper dance floor. All the gals dress like flaming Sally with fishnets &amp; short red outfits with big hair red wigs. (I dated one for a time).<BR>
<BR>
Opening night. All the press was there. Variety. Clyde was on pins and needles.<BR>
<BR>
It was during that run that Gene Bolen took me to the Gaslight Club and we went to the back room and I first met Barrett Deems. Barrett was showing off for us and split his mounted tom head during a solo . . . didn't stop played, and asked me to come up and change the head while he continued his solo, which I did. He never stopped and never missed a beat.<BR>
<BR>
Anyway, I could go on, but I doubt anyone's interested anyway. Off to Nashville &amp; Indy for the weekend. If I think of any cute stories about it, I put one up when I get back.<BR>
<BR>
Bill Sargent<BR>
414-777-0100<BR>
BillSargent.com<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_14f.10a655a0.2a5f222a_boundary--