[Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:31:57 +0000

Hi Jerry and all,

You wrote (regarding band dress):

>Incidentally I once asked the guy who runs our local traditional jazz club
>why he has never booked a certain band and his reply was, "I don't like
>them
>they dress too smartly."

That's interesting, Jerry -- Correct me if I'm wrong, but my observation (as
a musician from the U.S.) is that Brit trad bands tend to dress down and the
garments are most often black or grey. A popular shirt, for example, seems
to be a black crew neck t-shirt. Over this one might find a war surplus army
jacket. Pants are invariably baggy and often grey.

I may be overstating this, but I've seen lots of bands from the UK and my
description seems to hold.

DJMLer Tony Davis is a good friend and he also leads a band in the UK and is
possibly one to ask if my perception is correct or just an unjustified
stereotype.

By the way, my band generally dresses in tan slacks and multicolored
tropical shirts. If you were to put my band along side Tony's band and the
observer didn't know us I bet there would be no difficulty whatsoever
picking out the Brit band!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Aloha" Gunter
The Boondockers