[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong in long tie and different suits?

Stan Brager sbrager@socal.rr.com" <sbrager@socal.rr.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:18:30 -0700

The problem with the Town Hall concert in 1947 is that it was NOT the
Armstrong band...yet. It was more of a jam session with Armstrong being the
leader. It was an experiment to try to boost the sagging career of
Armstrong and, more importantly, to return him to the public as the leader
of a small jazz band.

The whole affair was the brainchild of Ernest Anderson who had to convince
Armstrong's manager Joe Glaser to let Louis do the gig.

All the participants were hired for that evening (May 17, 1947) only, so I
doubt that band uniforms were paid for. They dressed in suits and ties
which were standard fair for jazz musicians at that time for that
engagement.

All who were contracted for the evening showed up except for Sidney Bechet.

Reference: Liner notes from the French RCA CD set "Louis Armstrong At Town
Hall".

Stan
Stan Brager
Trombonist-in-Training