[Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:21:07 -0400

Ivor Jones wrote about Ross Anderson's snip:

> All day I have been thinking about Ross Anderson's claim concerning
band
> attire but still cannot fathom the logic of it :

"If the band "LOOKS" GOOD, the" MUSIC" is GOOD"

My 2 cents is that Ross is zeroing in on "Perception". Something like if
the audiences perceives  because of the way you dress, or the manner in
which you put forth your stage presentation , that you are indeed
"professionals", then they will go into the program thinking you are
going to be an excellent band. You are ahead of the curve. If the band
is not up to par, some may catch on that the music is not so good, but
many will not.

Audience perception is 90% of the reaction a band gets. Whether or not
you favor uniforms is really not important. It is what works for you and
your band that counts.

And regarding the 30 second TV ad. Shouldn't one first ask: "What is it
I'm trying to sell" and then "Who am I trying to sell it to"?
If the answer is pure music, then feature music. If the answer is a good
time, eg "party" than show the band in a party setting. If the answer is
young people, then show the band in a young people venue. Etc., etc.,
etc. By all means have the band looking good and playing well. Uniforms
or not? Makes some difference, depending upon your goals, but not much.

Regarding comfortable shoes, hey, I'm 68, I do 5 or 6 gigs a week
throughout the summer. Give me a break if I need to wear comfortable
shoes, or use a stool to sit on. My feet and legs wear out rapidly these
days. Concentrate on the music if that's why you are in the audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone