[Dixielandjazz] Ball, Bilk & Barber

Jazzjerry@aol.com Jazzjerry@aol.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:11:27 EDT

John,

Is there any reason why you sent this message again. I got the original a
couple of weeks or so ago.

And I do think that you are being unfair to Barbar. You say that your
statement relate to like and dislikes and then describe the Barber
performance of 'Bobby Shaftoe' as 'execrable' which is rather strong. I must
admit that I feel that Art Tatum ruined more decent melodies than almost any
other 'famous' pianist and his piano playing was hopelessly over-rated
relying as it did on an over flowery technique at the expence of any
emotional expression and feeling.  And that is my opinion which can be
abbreviated into 'Tatum was Crap'.

But would it not be boring is we agreed on everything!

Cheers,

Jerry