[Dixielandjazz] Aretha blesses America

Charlie Hull Charlie Hull <charlie@easysounds.com>
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 05:37:12 -0700

Come on, folks.  It's one thing to comment on music stylizations we can't
identify with, but let's leave people's weight out of it.  Be nice.

I, too, am totally turned off by singers (and instrumentalists) who either
don't know the melody or certainly have no respect for it.  Aretha's success
influenced many aspiring singers to abuse the melody.  It's their 'thing',
their way of musical expression, and they may find it satisfying, but not
for me.

Let's face it, it's their America, too, and whoever is choosing the music
for these media productions has different tastes than most on this list.
Maybe some of us could get on the music committee.  We can certainly write
letters and e-mails to to the networks expressing our views about the music
they provided on a sacred national holiday.  Lotsa luck.

Thanks to this wonderful list, though, we can sound off about it.  And we
will.

Charlie Hull