[Dixielandjazz] Ball, Bilk & Barber

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 06:40:00 +0100

Jerry Brown said :

"I don't like everything they recorded over the past 40 to 50 years and
certainly would not consider it as good jazz but to write them off in the
way John Farrell does is extremely unfair."

My remarks about these bands represented my opinion of them Jerry, they were
not statements of fact. I dare say that there are bands/individual musicians
which do not appeal to you but which I consider to be terrific -
subjectivity is part of the human condition, without it this list would sink
without trace.

I am not familiar with Barber's present day rhythm'n'blues stuff
consequently I cannot comment on it, however I can say that I would not have
crossed the street to listen to the Barber band which recorded such
execrable tracks as Bobby Shaftoe and the like.

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net