[Dixielandjazz] Dress &

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:29:01 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3109102142_3314245_MIME_Part

on 7/9/02 9:33 PM, JimDBB@aol.com at JimDBB@aol.com wrote:

Duke had great charm which was augmented by his stylish dress.

OOh! Did he ever!  But the Duke (Edward) Groner was born in my
country--southern Oklahoma, me North Texas--in 1908.  Me 1029.  So Duke
could have (barely) been my father.  And boy would I have been proud of him!
See, we understood each other from way down under.  Duke was a black
Gentleman--that is, one who had gone through all the bullshit, all the Hey,
Niggers are nothin, all the White folks are Superior--and come out a
gentleman, such a superior gentle man that no one could not see it.

We used to sit together at a table in the club, other black dudes--younger
black dudes who could have been Duke's grandchildren--and they'd  start
this, "Hey, Y'ole Fart, how come you took  all that shit from Whitey back
when....?"  And Duke would look at over at me, lift an eyebrow,  and say,
"Charlie, you wanna tellim, or should I"?

We were equals, Duke and I: but Duke was older and therefore smarter.  More
knowledegable. His advice helped me through many a tight place, and I wasn't
the only one: try Eric Schneider!  Eric will tell you: Duke kept him
straight--a li'l ol white Jewish boy from Winnetka:  we weren't stupid, Eric
or me; and we knew where to go for the straight scoop!  Duke and Peanut;
that's where.

You bet "Duke had great charm."  He knew what was what, too!  Miss him
bunches.

Charlie

--MS_Mac_OE_3109102142_3314245_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Dixielandjazz] Dress &amp; </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 7/9/02 9:33 PM, JimDBB@aol.com at JimDBB@aol.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Duke had great charm which was augmented by his stylish dres=
s.<BR>
<BR>
OOh! Did he ever! &nbsp;But the Duke (Edward) Groner was born in my country=
--southern Oklahoma, me North Texas--in 1908. &nbsp;Me 1029. &nbsp;So Duke c=
ould have (barely) been my father. &nbsp;And boy would I have been proud of =
him! &nbsp;See, we understood each other from way down under. &nbsp;Duke was=
 a black Gentleman--that is, one who had gone through all the bullshit, all =
the Hey, Niggers are nothin, all the White folks are Superior--and come out =
a gentleman, such a superior gentle man that no one could not see it. <BR>
<BR>
We used to sit together at a table in the club, other black dudes--younger =
black dudes who could have been Duke's grandchildren--and they'd &nbsp;start=
 this, &quot;Hey, Y'ole Fart, how come you took &nbsp;all that shit from Whi=
tey back when....?&quot; &nbsp;And Duke would look at over at me, lift an ey=
ebrow, &nbsp;and say, &quot;Charlie, you wanna tellim, or should I&quot;? &n=
bsp;<BR>
<BR>
We were equals, Duke and I: but Duke was older and therefore smarter. &nbsp=
;More knowledegable. His advice helped me through many a tight place, and I =
wasn't the only one: try Eric Schneider! &nbsp;Eric will tell you: Duke kept=
 him straight--a li'l ol white Jewish boy from Winnetka: &nbsp;we weren't st=
upid, Eric or me; and we knew where to go for the straight scoop! &nbsp;Duke=
 and Peanut; that's where. <BR>
<BR>
You bet &quot;Duke had great charm.&quot; &nbsp;He knew what was what, too!=
 &nbsp;Miss him bunches.<BR>
<BR>
Charlie<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3109102142_3314245_MIME_Part--