[Dixielandjazz] Ward Kimball recollection

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:13:45 +0000

Hi Jerry and Listmates,
Tim Eldred wrote:

>Another Ward story is that he saw me sweeping the floor one night with a
>broom and a dust pan with a cover that open and closed, liked the sound
>of it, and invited me up to take a solo with the band....I have no idea
>how I sounded, but his graciousness to a young fan will never be
>forgotten.  (Anybody else ever taken a broom and dust pan solo?)

And Jerry Gordon replied:

>Now there's something for washboardists to aspire to!

The broom has been done. Comedian/musician Pete Barbutti does a bit
involving a broom. He has it in a special "music" case and he goes through a
long spiel about how difficult it is to play the broom. Then he tunes it up
by tweeking some of the bristles. Then he plays it to musical accompaniment
by stroking the microphone rhythmically.

It brings tears to the eyes!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Aspiring Washboardist" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com