[Dixielandjazz] Straws and Stripes [was: tv spot...]

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:20:11 -0400

Straws and stripes as an *issue* is a bunch of crap. You do what your local
market demands or allows.

Two examples: 1. Negative: you're working in a genealogy reference room and
object to a dress code of tie & jacket, neat beard or clean shaven. You
wanna wear a wild beard and motorcycle denims. Your employer is paying you
to do a job in public; as far as I'm concerned, end of discussion. However,
to explain: in order to do the job you've got to have the trust of the
clients, in this case little old ladies who are gonna run screaming from
the room if they see a Hell's Angel sitting at the desk.

2. Positive: if your client is having a formal wedding reception, you've
got to wear a tuxedo; if you play a lot of weddings, you've at least got to
find out what they want you to wear, or risk losing the gig/leaving a
negative impression.

So what the heck is the difference between a tux and a striped vest/red
vest/blue blazer/other uniform? I understand that hobbyists don't dig
commercial gigs, but it seems to me that if you take yourself more
seriously than playing the music, you have an attitude problem. My
experience suggests audiences aren't going to take you any more or less
seriously if the band looks like a band by wearing some sort of uniform.

--Sheik