Fw: Fw: [Dixielandjazz] About Wright

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 16:57:11 EDT

--part1_191.96f6cde.2a5a0527_boundary

ringwald@calweb.com writes:

> Bob -
> >        Thank you for forwarding the DJML exchange about Frank Lloyd
> Wright
> > and Taliesin.
> >        As you are aware, I was an architectural apprectice and member of
> the
> > Fellowship at Taliesin.  Those who read your "The Other Side of Igor"
> which
> > appeared last winter in the STJS newsletter are privy to this bit of
> > information as well.
> >        What none of you knows, however, is that I used to "borrow" Mr.
> > Wright's bass fiddle for my nightly forays into the Scottsdale AZ folk
> scene.
> >  One might say I began my folk music career with that very bass fiddle.
> >        I always was present for our Taliesin musicales, usually
> performing
> on
> > classical guitar and adding a bass voice to the chorus.
> >
> > IGOR GLENN

      Was Frank Lloyd Wright alive then and present or was this in more
recent years?

      I used to go hear FLW lecture when I was at the U of Wisconsin.  He
would come in with his pork pie hat and medallion and give a general
harangue.  Someone asked him from the audience, "If he had unlimited sources
of money what would he do with it?"  Wright replied, " I would us it to buy
up these colleges and universities and I would close them down.  You can't
possibly learn anything here, look at these horrible buildings an you
teachers don't know anything".........and on it would go.

I absolutely loved the guy.

I was in a music store one day when he came in looking for a piano.  He
arrived in an old limo with one of his apprentices for a driver.  He plinked
around on some pianos, mad a few disparaging remarks and left.  The owner of
the store heaved a huge sigh of relief.  The merchants in Madison all hated
Wright.  He would go around purchasing and charging things and never paid for
them.

There was a big fuss at Taliesin ( In Spring Green, not far from Madison) one
day as neighboring farmers were complaining to the police that Wright's
female apprentices were working in the fields topless.  I believe that it was
the farmer's wives who complained.

Jim Beebe

--part1_191.96f6cde.2a5a0527_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/7/02 3:28:29 PM Central Daylight Time, ringwald@calweb.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Bob -<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thank you for forwarding the DJML exchange about Frank Lloyd Wright<BR>
&gt; and Taliesin.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As you are aware, I was an architectural apprectice and member of<BR>
the<BR>
&gt; Fellowship at Taliesin.&nbsp; Those who read your "The Other Side of Igor"<BR>
which<BR>
&gt; appeared last winter in the STJS newsletter are privy to this bit of<BR>
&gt; information as well.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What none of you knows, however, is that I used to "borrow" Mr.<BR>
&gt; Wright's bass fiddle for my nightly forays into the Scottsdale AZ folk<BR>
scene.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; One might say I began my folk music career with that very bass fiddle.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I always was present for our Taliesin musicales, usually performing<BR>
on<BR>
&gt; classical guitar and adding a bass voice to the chorus.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; IGOR GLENN</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Was Frank Lloyd Wright alive then and present or was this in more recent years?<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I used to go hear FLW lecture when I was at the U of Wisconsin.&nbsp; He would come in with his pork pie hat and medallion and give a general harangue.&nbsp; Someone asked him from the audience, "If he had unlimited sources of money what would he do with it?"&nbsp; Wright replied, " I would us it to buy up these colleges and universities and I would close them down.&nbsp; You can't possibly learn anything here, look at these horrible buildings an you teachers don't know anything".........and on it would go. <BR>
<BR>
I absolutely loved the guy.<BR>
<BR>
I was in a music store one day when he came in looking for a piano.&nbsp; He arrived in an old limo with one of his apprentices for a driver.&nbsp; He plinked around on some pianos, mad a few disparaging remarks and left.&nbsp; The owner of the store heaved a huge sigh of relief.&nbsp; The merchants in Madison all hated Wright.&nbsp; He would go around purchasing and charging things and never paid for them.<BR>
<BR>
There was a big fuss at Taliesin ( In Spring Green, not far from Madison) one day as neighboring farmers were complaining to the police that Wright's female apprentices were working in the fields topless.&nbsp; I believe that it was the farmer's wives who complained.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_191.96f6cde.2a5a0527_boundary--