[Dixielandjazz] Humor vs. E. C.

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:30:50 +0200

Someone wrote, it would seem without knowing what he was talking about:

>Please don't come down so hard on poor Ernie.=A0 What Ernie has said is
mild compared to >what is to be expected. Professionals, whatever the
profession may be, try to urge their >compatriots to greater heights by
whatever means. Maybe it is the American way=A0 of doing >thing. I =
really
don't know but I do have and have had quite a few Canuck "Canadian "
friends >who play the same charade. It takes a sense of humor. Warped
maybe but still all in fun.

There was nothing whatsoever "fun" in the period we had E.C. in our
midst on DJML.  There were insults being flung that didn't just verge on
being vulgar, they WERE vulgar.  It was a most unpleasant time, and DJML
just about collapsed under the weight of it all.  We need to remember
that this is an open forum, and people's comments are just that....their
comments.  There is little reason for attacks. =20

I have known various musicians, and extremely talented ones, that just
couldn't find work due to their personalities.  We had a sit-in the
other nite, the Danish Ambassador to Spain who plays a very nice Sop
Sax.  Although we all commented, between ourselves later that he played
a nice horn, the most important comment by everyone was what a pleasant
person he was. =20

So, unpleasant folk can just stay away,  as far as I'm concerned, and I
don't really care if they blow or not......

Jim