[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sophie Tucker

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun, 07 Jul 2002 11:29:33 +1000

Dear Peter (and John Ding)
Sophie Tucker
81311-C  "What'll You Do?" (Cohn)   OK 40921,Par R-3455, Col CL-2604, Ret
FV-207, EMI EMB. 10374/8245
Recorded: Chicago, 2 Sept 1927 with orchestra.
(Which rules out the NYC-based Nichols and Mole.)
The reverse is "There'll Be Some Changes Made" (same band/same day).
But who wrote the song? Cohn (as given above on one of my two LP versions?)
Another source credits the song to Sammy Kahn-Stan Miller and yet 2 more to
Miller-Cohn and Ned Miller-Chester Cohn.
There were 3 other versions made of the song at this time (late 1927) including
one by Annette Hanshaw (which I do not have - yet).
Have just played the Tucker version. Very good white studio type theatre orch
with t, tb; 2 rds, vn, p, bj, tu, d. Good legit violin, nice swinging trombone.
Ted Shapiro is said to be the pianist. Not surprising as he was her MD.
Good song too, complete with verse and one band chorus.
On the same day singer, Sonia Meroff recorded "There Ain't No Land Like
Dixieland To Me", but with piano only.
The day before Sophie cut 2 songs. So did Mark Fisher and His Orch.
Kind regards,
Bill.