[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ernie Carson

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 16:08:02 +0000

Hi Listmates and Bill Haesler,

You wrote to me on the list,

>Tough talk about Ernie Carson.
>I recall that we all had a similar discussion, some years ago, when he was
>active on the DJML.
>So..........in his defence I offer the following . . .

I don't know exactly what "tough talk" means. Do you mean that the language
was insulting and derogatory? Did you mean the language was honest and
frank? Did you mean the language was cruel and unforgiving? There's all
sorts of interpretations to the comment.

Anyway, I think my comments were sympathetic to Ernie's plight but at the
same time reflected the realities of Ernie's persona.

I know Ernie can be charming. I've had several e-mail exchanges with him in
which he was reasonable and friendly and revealed a more pleasant demeanor
than we've all seen at other times. I acknowledged his musicianship but was
honest about his darker side.

You had a happy experience with Ernie in Sydney, but I know of another
Aussie musician who arranged some Australian appearances for Ernie which
turned into a miserble experience for all concerned. Perhaps you caught
Ernie on a good day. But Ernie's days are not all good.

Trust me . . . if you or I pulled any one of the myriad non-professional
stunts Ernie did we'd never work in this town again.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Mr. Nice Guy" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com