[Dixielandjazz] Re: Take me to the land of jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 20:24:40 +1000

Dear Rob, Jim and other interested DJMLers.
"Take Me To The Land Of Jazz" was written in 1919 by Pete Wendling (music),
Leslie Elgar (lyr) and Bert Kalmar (lyr).
It was recorded by The Premier Quartet and singer Bert Harvey in 1919. Wendling
als0 made a piano roll version at the time.
Pull up Google, punch in - Take Me To The Land Of Jazz, sheet music - and you
will get a copy of the sheet music cover and an MP3 sound clip of the complete
Harvey version on Edison Diamond Disc 50583-L (3m.48s).
It is the same  song that Pee Wee Russell recorded (so magnificently) for
Commodore on 30 Sept 1944.
It is also the same song that Lil Armstrong, Blossom Seeley and Jack Teagarden
sang on the Eddie Condon 'Chicago And All That Jazz' LP made on 30/31 Oct 1961.
This version, credited (as Jim said) to Perkins-Brennan. is correctly titled on
the LP cover of Verve MV 2535 (which I have) but shown on the disc label as "In
The Land Of Jazz" (Perkins-Brennan).
A quick search (my books and Google) did not turn up any real leads on
Perkins-Brennan as a collaborative team. So (as we have established the real
authors) I did not pursue it any further.
Perhaps Perkins-Brennan were Verve executives. It would not be the first time
this has happened. Nor the last.   8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I do not seem to have the Turk Murphy version. What is is it on?