[Dixielandjazz] Lotte Lenya/Louis Armstrong

David Richoux tubaman@wombat.net
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:27:32 -0700

Don Ingle wrote:

snip

> Sorry I didn't hear the Louis/Lenya radio bit. Lotte was the wife of the
> composer, Kurt Weil, but was never a jazz singer, though in her own niche
> was a gifted artist. Some people never learn to swing...or in the first
> case, to match material with talent.

that version of "Mack the Knife" is actually available on a Lotte Lenya CD release
"Lotte Lenya Sings Kurt Weill / Levine, Lenya, Armstrong, Gilford, et al"  Sony
60647 (it is listed  at Amazon, by the way and probably many other places have it.)
There is also a German version with Turk Murphy's Jazz Band on the same  CD. I have
played both of them on my radio program a few times.

Dave Richoux