[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lee Wiley (was Rosemary Clooney RIP)

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:30:45 +0100

Bill said
> Spot on. I am with you and Jim regarding Lee Wiley.
> The "Come Sunday", with backing only from pianist Teddy Wilson,  you refer
> (although not MY favourite Lee) was indeed recorded at the Newport Jazz
Festival
> (the first  to be held in New York City) at Carnegie Hall on 5 July 1972.
She
> had come out of retirement temporarily in Nov 1971 and had been invited to
the
> festival by George Wein.
> On the bill with her were Bobby Hackett, c; Teddy Wilson, p; Bucky
Pizzarelli,
> g; George Duvivier, sb; & Don Lamond, d.
> The audience LOVED it, judging by the applause. Thanks to George Buck of
> Jazzology a recording from one set is (was) available on Audiophile
ACD-170.

George Buck has several other Wiley CDs including the albums of her song
books (Gershwin, Rogers & Hart, Porter & Arlen) and they are all gems. Any
list member not familiar with her work would do well to grab an earful
cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com