Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Rosemary Clooney RIP

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:07:50 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C22132.97FF2F40

Jim said
>If Hoagy wasn't a jazz musician then, who was, or is.  Hoagy played =
piano with many of the top jazz artists of that period.  HIs experience =
as a jazz musician is what makes  many of his songs so distinctive.  Bud =
Freeman once remarked that he couldn't improvise much on ' >Stardust" =
because it already was an improvisation.
Hoagy's mid forties recording of Stardust, where his vocal range does =
not allow him to sing the melody, is a masterpiece. I have no ide if he =
improvided the new melody or whether he worked it out - but to me it was =
agreat jazz performance. Also evidence his album with the Pacific =
Jazzmen circa 57. Great phrasing, lazy laid back timing, real feeling - =
that is what jazz is all about. I also class Johnny Mercer in that =
category as well as Fred Astaire and a few others.=20
I'm enjoying Gary Giddings book on Bing at the moment, and he rightly =
identifies Crosby as being the prime mover amongst white jazz singers. =
However Bing, Hoagy and all fall way behind Louis Armstrong who invented =
it. As for Rosemary Clooney, he jazz credentials to me are as valid as =
Lee Wiley's or Mildred Bailey's. If Duke saw fit to record an album with =
her that should be good enough for everyone else.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C22132.97FF2F40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim said</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;If Hoagy wasn't a jazz musician =
then, who was,=20
or is.&nbsp; Hoagy played piano with many of the top jazz artists of =
that=20
period.&nbsp; HIs experience as a jazz musician is what makes&nbsp; many =
of his=20
songs so distinctive.&nbsp; Bud Freeman once remarked that he couldn't =
improvise=20
much on ' &gt;Stardust" because it already was an =
improvisation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hoagy's mid forties recording of =
Stardust, where=20
his vocal range does not allow him to sing the melody, is a masterpiece. =
I have=20
no ide if he improvided the new melody or whether he worked it out - but =
to me=20
it was agreat jazz performance. Also evidence his album with the Pacific =
Jazzmen=20
circa 57. Great phrasing, lazy laid back timing, real feeling - that is =
what=20
jazz is all about. I also class Johnny Mercer in that category as well =
as Fred=20
Astaire and a few others. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm enjoying Gary Giddings book on Bing =
at the=20
moment, and he rightly identifies Crosby as being the prime mover =
amongst white=20
jazz singers. However Bing, Hoagy and all fall way behind Louis =
Armstrong who=20
invented it. As for Rosemary Clooney, he jazz credentials to me are as =
valid as=20
Lee Wiley's or Mildred Bailey's. If Duke saw fit to record an album with =
her=20
that should be good enough for everyone else.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>John Petters<BR>Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.Traditional-jazz.com">WWW.Traditional-jazz.com</A></DI=