[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Ball

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:45:58 +0200

A few years ago I wrote a report on a concert I saw in Dubl=EDn....Kenny
Ball's band.  I looked for it to post it here again, but don't seem to
have it.  Seems like we can't search in the DJML archives any longer,
either.

The reason for wishing to post it again was it was what I was suggesting
when all this business about posting newspaper reports came up.  It's
much better if one has attended a concert, and can give a critical view,
than just to copy something from the newspaper.

I found the Kenny Ball band polished, perhaps too much, but very
swinging.  It was a great evening, and the some 2000 people were all
thrilled.  There's nothing wrong with that if you can get 2000 people in
to hear jazz, I'd say it's a good thing.  Very sorry to hear he is not
well. =20
I wrote on all of this, and mentioned things I thought I might use on my
gigs (I have), and things I wouldn't like to use (& I haven't). =20

I'd like to see more of these kind of reports.  The fan can give
interesting info, as can other musicians.

Jim