[Dixielandjazz] Rosemary Clooney RIP

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:04:32 EDT

--part1_66.2343b523.2a51d790_boundary

jpettjazz@btinternet.com writes:

> > While some did not consider her a "jazz: singer, I thought she was quite
> > comfortable singing among some very talented jazzers like Warren Vache,
> > Scott Hamilton, John Otto and others
>
> What is a jazz singer? I was dismayed again to read in Jazz Journal
> international a review of Sudhalter's Hoagy book. The reviewer again said
> something to the effect that Hoagy was not a jazz musician. This is of
> course pure rot. Jazz singing or playing for that matter comes down to
> improvising, timing and phrasing. Both Rosemary Clooney and Hoagy had both.
> I suppose with the Bing centenary coming up there will be similar
> dismissals
> of Mr Crosby's qualifications as a jazz singer.
> cheers
> John Petters

    Good points, John Petters, and well articulated.   I am just now reading
Sudhalter's new book on Hoagy,"Stardust Melody."  This is a superb piece of
work and a must read.  Sudhalter is not only a terrific scholar, he is a
superb writer.  If Hoagy wasn't a jazz musician then, who was, or is.  Hoagy
played piano with many of the top jazz artists of that period.  HIs
experience as a jazz musician is what makes  many of his songs so
distinctive.  Bud Freeman once remarked that he couldn't improvise much on '
Stardust" because it already was an improvisation.

Jim Beebe

--part1_66.2343b523.2a51d790_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/1/02 4:43:24 AM Central Daylight Time, jpettjazz@btinternet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt; While some did not consider her a "jazz: singer, I thought she was quite<BR>
&gt; comfortable singing among some very talented jazzers like Warren Vache,<BR>
&gt; Scott Hamilton, John Otto and others<BR>
<BR>
What is a jazz singer? I was dismayed again to read in Jazz Journal<BR>
international a review of Sudhalter's Hoagy book. The reviewer again said<BR>
something to the effect that Hoagy was not a jazz musician. This is of<BR>
course pure rot. Jazz singing or playing for that matter comes down to<BR>
improvising, timing and phrasing. Both Rosemary Clooney and Hoagy had both.<BR>
I suppose with the Bing centenary coming up there will be similar dismissals<BR>
of Mr Crosby's qualifications as a jazz singer.<BR>
cheers<BR>
John Petters<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Good points, John Petters, and well articulated.&nbsp;&nbsp; I am just now reading Sudhalter's new book on Hoagy,"Stardust Melody."&nbsp; This is a superb piece of work and a must read.&nbsp; Sudhalter is not only a terrific scholar, he is a superb writer.&nbsp; If Hoagy wasn't a jazz musician then, who was, or is.&nbsp; Hoagy played piano with many of the top jazz artists of that period.&nbsp; HIs experience as a jazz musician is what makes&nbsp; many of his songs so distinctive.&nbsp; Bud Freeman once remarked that he couldn't improvise much on ' Stardust" because it already was an improvisation.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_66.2343b523.2a51d790_boundary--