[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #394 - 15 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:28:05 EST

--part1_f.5ebb070.2b422275_boundary

In a message dated 12/30/2002 3:01:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> [...]

Dan Spink replies:

Dave, I think, has touched on the essential problem in all the back and forth
about Miles Davis, and on how to appreciate OKOM vs. Miles' music. I'm
talking about the definition of jazz, and the definition of good vs. great or
not so good jazz. Many DJMLers imply that there are clear cut definitions and
beyond that, clear cut ways of understanding and evaluating either Miles'
music or any other part of jazz. Simply said, there are no clear definitions
or evaluations. In short, there is no science to it, nor will there ever be,
nor does there ever have to be. There was one time in the history of jazz,
according to Ted Gioia's book, The History of Jazz, when jazz was so popular
and popular music was so jazzy and that was swing. Before or after that jazz
has never been defined as a popular music, nor has it ever been defined as a
purely "art form" of music. It seems to me that everybody in this group plays
OKOM mainly for one reason: they feel it, they love it, it makes life more
meaningful for them. That certainly is true for me. Beyond that, I believe
trends and directions in jazz, or popular music (whatever the Hey that is
these days), and yes, even classical music, comes down more and more to
wherever a few giants lead us at any point in time. Miles is one of those
giants but I just don't happen to dig his thing. The other major problem with
the defining and evaluating debates is that "newer" always comes out sounding
like it should be "better" for some unknown reason. Beethoven wrote after
Bach but I still listen to Bach. Gillespie is another great leader (I'm sure)
but I just don't care about bop as music. Sooner or later some marketing
group will discover a way to make money on bringing back OKOM in yet another
reincarnation and that's how the biz works. I don't think we have to worry
about OKOM dying out. I sure hope not.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_f.5ebb070.2b422275_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 12/30/2002 3:01:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B>Original Message -----<BR>
David Palmquist writes<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;We must share our love of our music with others if there is to be a chance<BR>
&gt;it will continue -- but as an art form instead of popular music. Not<BR>
&gt;everybody has an ear for jazz, there isn't even a common understanding of<BR>
&gt;what it is, and even in its heyday, other than the subset called Swing, it<BR>
&gt;was never superpopular.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New" LANG="0"><B><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B>Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
Dave, I think, has touched on <U>the</U> essential problem in all the back and forth about Miles Davis, and on how to appreciate OKOM vs. Miles' music. I'm talking about the definition of jazz, and the definition of good vs. great or not so good jazz. Many DJMLers imply that there are clear cut definitions and beyond that, clear cut ways of understanding and evaluating either Miles' music or any other part of jazz. Simply said, there are no clear definitions or evaluations. In short, there is no science to it, nor will there ever be, nor does there ever have to be. There was one time in the history of jazz, according to Ted Gioia's book, <I>The History of Jazz</I>, when jazz was so popular and popular music was so jazzy and that was swing. Before or after that jazz has never been defined as a popular music, nor has it ever been defined as a purely "art form" of music. It seems to me that everybody in this group plays OKOM mainly for one reason: they feel it, they love it, it makes life more meaningful for them. That certainly is true for me. Beyond that, I believe trends and directions in jazz, or popular music (whatever the Hey that is these days), and yes, even classical music, comes down more and more to wherever a few giants lead us at any point in time. Miles is one of those giants but I just don't happen to dig his thing. The other major problem with the defining and evaluating debates is that "newer" always comes out sounding like it should be "better" for some unknown reason. Beethoven wrote after Bach but I still listen to Bach. Gillespie is another great leader (I'm sure) but I just don't care about bop as music. Sooner or later some marketing group will discover a way to make money on bringing back OKOM in yet another reincarnation and that's how the biz works. I don't think we have to worry about OKOM dying out. I sure hope not.<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink</FONT></HTML>

--part1_f.5ebb070.2b422275_boundary--