[Dixielandjazz] Straight Ahead Jazz

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:17:34 -0500

The Melody Maker, Jan., 1926, p. 24 - "...To play the music in a continuously
exciting. unadorned manner: frequently hortatory"(Robert S. Gold, "Jazz Talk",
1975). I don't recall coming upon this phrase in any other sense, but.....?
To save some of you from resorting to a dictionary, which I had to do ,
"hortatory" means "encouraging, inciting, exhorting, urging to a course of
conduct or action", which to me doesn't mean anything concrete in this
setting.
>From the same book - "Mainstream...jazz that has roots in the swing
period...an intermediate position between the traditionalists and the
modernists". And "coined in the 1950s by historian Stanley Dance...'a kind of
jazz which, while neither "traditional"  nor "modern",is better than both.'
(Peter Clayton and and Peter Gammond. "The Guinness Jazz Companion", 1989).
But, perhaps more to the point, more on "Mainstream" in Gold - "These labels
are normally manufactured by critics to bring some sort of jazz they like to
the attention of more people" (Jazz News, 16 Aug, 1961, p. 10). Cheers to that
and for 2003.
Fred