[Dixielandjazz] Re: Happy Every Day -- and the Holy-daze, too

Ivor Jones banjones@oninet.pt
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:24:02 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard@hotmail.com>

> FOOTBALL
> (Brit) a game with a round ball played in your
knickers................wrong, see below

.
> (Yank) Impregnate a close friend (at least at the time)

Aside. There is another meaning in England of the above expression..Some 45
years ago when I was at Wembley practising for the World Table Tennis
Championships, the American team showed (but of course they played
'PING-PONG') and I politely asked a very tasty America lady, Sharon Koehnke,
if she would like a 'knock up' , meaning practice, whereupon Marty Riesman,
a male member of the team, offered to re-arrange my features. I thought at
the time that this was jealousy ...the real reason was explained later.

> SORRY
> (Brit) a word to use when you accidentally bump into someone
> (Yank) a feeling of regret when you find you've actually hurt someone

My dear William most of your list is a load of old COBBLERS, this is Cockney
rhyming-slang (cobbler's awls). .

A few more differences

Hockey is played mostly by girls in England, Rounders...you call it
Baseball, is only played by girls.....Rugby, which more or less is what you
call football, is played by men with funny shaped balls, and is in most
countries played without any significant padding while in America 'played
with heavy padding and helmets' ... and painted faces, make-up, or
cosmetics....take your pick. What do you think this all means?

No offence intended, and in the best possible taste.

Ivor Jones