[Dixielandjazz] Elkhart Festival

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:18:05 -0600

>>>I looked at that site and just found a new category for musos. "Straight
ahead" What the hell does that mean? <<<

As much as I hate classifications, I would say that "straight ahead" style
is not trad, and it's not really progressive; but I would say that the Benny
Goodman trio and quartet stuff was in that category, even though the term
had not been used in his time.  The Scott Hamilton small groups would also
fit in.  Somewhere between swing up to and possibly including some bop.
   A new pigeon hole to add to the confusion?
    Pat Cooke