[Dixielandjazz] Re: Shirt Tail Stomp-Finally!!

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:34:12 +1100

Dear Rebecca,
I am a little concerned about the 'enthusiasm' being shown on the DJML for
"Shirt Tail Stomp" (a basic variation on "St Louis Blues").
Recorded in 1928 and 1929, it was a (not so complimentary) parody of the
Original Dixieland Jazz Band, recorded just 10 years after the ODJB's triumphant
years.
Goodman and his mates were about 19-20 at the time and very disrespectful, it
would seem.
Listen to it in that context and you (may) find that it was not such a great
jazz piece, notwithstanding the terrific musicianship of the teenagers.
It is certainly not an outstanding example of the 'jazz' being recorded at that
time.
It was (hopefully) a good-natured throwaway 'dig' at the ODJB and (perhaps) the
senior members of the Original Memphis 5.
I realise that, at the time, BG and his friends did not think ahead. Records
were transitory things then, to be played and thrown away. Who would bother
collecting them?
Still, it did not stop BG doing it again ("Sensation Rag/When My Baby Smiles At
Me ") at the Carnegie Hall in Jan 1938.
Although, that was not quite the send-up that they did in 1928-29.
I seem to recall that we (in Melbourne, Australia) treated our older jazz peers
in the same way in the 1940s.
Oh to be a callow youth again!!!
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: The 'modernists' (Chubby Jackson with Shavers, Hawkins, Carney,  JJ Johnson,
Wilson), did a similar, but less reverent, thing with "Moldy Fig Stomp" in Dec
1946.
PPS: Spike Jones also did it in the 1940s, but with (I believe) good intent and
loads of reverence.