[Dixielandjazz] Re: Possible interest to all jazz fans!

Norrie Thomson jnt@nosmoth.fsnet.co.uk
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 01:59:13 -0000

As an employee of a couple of jazz festivals and the secretary of a
reasonably successful jazz club, I have often thought about what makes a
successful jazz group nowadays.

My conclusions are:

Never play anything recognisable - make the music as squeaky as possible -
that's what the people with the money like to hear.  They are told what jazz
is ( remember the king's new clothes) So -
All band members should play in different keys during each number.
NEVER play a gig where there are more than 10 people in the audience,
including partners etc.
NEVER go looking for gigs - you might get some and this will immediately
disqualify the band from any handouts.
Get someone to record the band during tuning up, put it onto a CD and send
it to the Arts Council.  You're bound to get an Arts Council grant or
perhaps a lottery grant.

Having done this, don't get too successful or you'll be back to square one.

Norrie Thomson
Edinburgh
Scotland