[Dixielandjazz] FW: The death of Don Murray

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:13:52 +1100

Dear Gary, Norman and interested friends,
Herewith Fred Spencer's reply to the death of Don Murray query.
He has given me authority to post it the DJML.
I am sure he would have no objection to Albert (Haim) posting it to his
(invaluable and very interesting) Bix site.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Dear Bill,
Yes, I describe Don Murray's death in my book, Jazz and Death. Medical Profiles
of
Jazz  Greats. However, this version in my book is the condensed text from the
660
page manuscript which I had to halve at the behest of the University Press of
Mississippi for publication. I have dug the original version out and this is it
-
 Don Murray was found unconscious in the street. This was attributed to having
fallen from or against a car, variously reported as being parked or moving. The
usually accepted account of the next train of events has Murray being admitted
to a
Los Angeles hospital and recovering from his injuries when, contrary to doctor's
orders, he died after drinking  from a bottle smuggled into his room by his
friends.
Norman P. Gentieu has shown this to be absolutely untrue Murray never recovered
consciousness and died on June 2, 1929 from his head injury. Mr. Gentieu
confirmed
this from Murray's death certificate and "the Los Angeles Police Department, who
were very cooperative in giving me information about the case. They...told me he
was
intoxicated when he fell and fractured his skull". The quote is in a letter I
received from Don Gentieu. I hope this clarifies the situation. All the best.
 Fred.