[Dixielandjazz] Dick Wellstood

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:42:26 EST

--part1_19e.ddd47d4.2b3245c2_boundary

In a message dated 12/18/02 3:14:50 PM Central Standard Time,
james@jiming.demon.co.uk writes:

> It's a pity Dick Wellstood, a practising attorney and plain-spoken man
> throughout his career as a jazz pianist, is no longer around to answer.  --
> Jim Denham

   Are you sure that Wellstood was a practising attorney?  He had a law
degree but I don't think that he ever put out his shingle.

   I can remember working with Bob Scobey in 1958-59 and we were in New York
for a couple of weeks. Dick filled in on piano a couple of nights as our
pianist, Floyd Bean, was sick.  I remember then that Dick told me he was
studying law.  I thought, 'well, there goes a damn good young pianist.'  We
were about the same age, I think.  I also remember that he told me that he
liked my sound on trombone.  Of course, I've been a fan of his for many
years.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_19e.ddd47d4.2b3245c2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3>In a message dated 12/18/02 3:14:50 PM Central Standard Time, james@jiming.demon.co.uk writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">It's a pity Dick Wellstood, a practising attorney and plain-spoken man<BR>
throughout his career as a jazz pianist, is no longer around to answer.&nbsp; --<BR>
Jim Denham</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Are you sure that Wellstood was a practising attorney?&nbsp; He had a law degree but I don't think that he ever put out his shingle.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I can remember working with Bob Scobey in 1958-59 and we were in New York for a couple of weeks. Dick filled in on piano a couple of nights as our pianist, Floyd Bean, was sick.&nbsp; I remember then that Dick told me he was studying law.&nbsp; I thought, 'well, there goes a damn good young pianist.'&nbsp; We were about the same age, I think.&nbsp; I also remember that he told me that he liked my sound on trombone.&nbsp; Of course, I've been a fan of his for many years.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_19e.ddd47d4.2b3245c2_boundary--