[Dixielandjazz] Re: How to get started improvising.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:28:09 -0500

> Bruce Zeiger <BDZeiger@aol.com> asked (polite snip)
>
> I'm excited about learning more. Now - where is the best place to start? I am a "legit" trumpet player who has dabbled in jazz in the past, but primarily as a lead or section player in a big band. I've never really had call to learn to improvise as every band I played in had a
> good improviser in the section.
> There is no Dixieland style band here in Huntsville Alabama where I live and work, so, other than starting a band with other guys who know as much or less than me, how do I develop this style?

Bruce:
I suggest checking out what Jamey Aebersold has to offer. He makes play along records so that you as the trumpet, can play with an accomplished rhythm section that swings their butt off.

Wide offering of 106 play along sets with written chord backup etc.including:

Vol 1.  How to Play Jazz and Improvise
Vol 24 Major & Minor
Vol 21 Getting It Together

All kinds of other sets with standards, be-bop, latin jazz and some OKOM like:

Vol 79  Avalon + 10 more
Vol 80  Indiana + 11 more

A wealth of information on how to improvise, jazz licks, patterns, chord change workouts, etc. Check Aebersold out at: http:www.jazzbooks.com

Cheers,