[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Jim Snyder, Trombone Player SFJB

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:36:22 -0800

I don't know how many of you got this email but I thought I'd pass it along
to the Jazz community.

Bob
bob@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Rann" <Bob@Rann.org>
To: "Snyder, Friends of Jim" <Bob@Rann.org>
Cc: "Snyder, Doug" <paulwfan@rcnchicago.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 5:36 PM
Subject: Jim Snyder, Trombone Player SFJB

Dear friends of Jim Snyder and the South Frisco Jazz Band,

I received this message from Doug Snyder, Jim's son this evening. I'm
passing it on to all those who know Jim and are concerned about him.

If you have any thoughts on the subject, please let me know, and I'll try to
coordinate the west coast friends with the Chicago family. Here's the
message:

----

Hi Bob, Doug Snyder here.  This is a two-fold message.  I need a west coast
delegate for when Dad dies.  Dean and I are having a hard time getting a
pulse on how many west coast people would truly consider coming out here for
a memorial.
Would you be willing to be the delegate?  If not, I would greatly appreciate
an e-mail address chain for anyone who would like to keep abreast of either
Dad's status or the memorial plans.  I need a point person and the method of
communication for when the bad news comes!  Thank you.

Part Two:  Status:
Dad is in serious shape.  He's still strong at this point, but it would be
better if he would just let go.  His meds are causing him to get quite
paranoid.  At first the paranoia was infrequent, but it's really coming out
now.  Last night he really freaked on the staff at the nursing home, and of
all things, Mom was there to spend the night with him.  So our theory of him
being afraid at night because he had no loved ones to watch over him was
shot to hell.  Mom went home after they gave him a major sedative.  That
carried over well into early afternoon - zonked!  Walbridge is going to try
his hand at it tonight, and if that fails, we're going to have to overhaul
the night plan for Dad.

So that's what we have, either an alert, kooky man, or a sedated, resting
father.  We don't know if they can alter his drugs in any way to improve on
the situation.  He's on the bridge between nursing home long-term, vs.
hospice.  It's so hard to read, and everything changes day to day.  Mom even
thought that if sedation was going to be constant, that she would consider
bringing him home, and today is the first time she even had hinted at
bringing him home.  Flip, flop, I guess this is what people do.

So anyway, Dad has been hanging on to the pride he had with his jazz crew,
and his old job at CNA.  It's about all he talks about when he's lucid.
He's longing for the memories of his music buddies, and his thoughts about
CNA seem to help him feel like he's able to manage his cancer.

He's had lots of visitors, I saw your envelope on his table today.  He knows
how much you guys love him and believe you me, he loves you.

The Snyders wish all of you a great holiday, because you were a part of the
joys of my Dad's life, and it was a great one.

Doug

----

Bob Rann
21862 Harborbreeze Lane