[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Rosner

Jazzjerry@aol.com Jazzjerry@aol.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:17:57 EST

Hi all,

I have received the following email asking for information as to any albums
by Eddie Rosner which are available. I am conducting a search through my own
sources but knowing the wide range of knowledge available on the DJML I felt
that it would be worth posting the query there as well.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

"I am writing to you at the suggestion of Paul at Lake Records as I am trying
to locate CDs by a German-born Jewish jazz musician called Eddie Rosner.
Described as the German 'Louis Armstrong', he eventually fled Nazi Germany
and ended up in Russia (sometimes called Addy Rosner there) where he
initially met with Stalin's approval, before winding up in the Gulag (where
he formed another jazz band!). I have searched the Internet several times for
CDs of his music and although there are plenty of sites with biographical
information on him, I have been unable to locate any CDs for sale. There is
one listed at a Russian record company site, Bomba, but I have been unable to
get any response to my emails (my beginner's Russian is not up to chasing
this up in Russian). I have also used German search engines as I have fluent
German. As you have been able to supply me with various jazz CDs over the
years, I thought I would try you in case you had come across any recordings.
A French-made documentary on Eddie Rosner was shown on BBC 2 in June of this
year, so I wondered whether it had generated any interest (from the footage,
he seemed to play traditional jazz trumpet in 1920s/early 1930s Berlin,
before recreating a similar band in Russia in the late 1930s and 1940s)."

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.