[Dixielandjazz] Firefly, anyone?

Bill Horton horton4jaz@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:45:51 -0800

Political columnist Joe Sobran devoted his Nov. 26 column to his search for
either an original 45 rpm recording of Tony Bennett's "Firefly", with the
Ray Ellis Orchestra, or a modern reproduction of it.  He first heard it at
Boy Scout camp (!) back in 1958, when Bennett's voice was at its best.  He
fell in love with it, bought the 45 and wore it out, and has been searching
for another ever since.  He's found several later Bennett versions of the
song, but none that he feels can compare to that original one.

I've never heard the tune, and would guess it is not OKOM, but surely one of
the DJML's many record collectors, sellers, and discographers  could help
him out.  I'd bet it would warrant mention in one of Sobran's future
columns, and be great publicity for the DJML.

Bill Horton