[Dixielandjazz] Doctor Jazz key? (was Ace in the Hole)

Ittzés Tamás bohem@mail.datanet.hu
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:34:38 +0100

John wrote:
-----------
when I sat in with Cell Block 7 (on a horrible toy piano!!) during one of
their UK tours they played Dr. Jazz in F, not the
usual Eb.
-------------
John, we do it in Db. Is not that the original key? (As we listened to Jelly
Roll's Red Hot Pepper recording ,we found out that that is most probable and
is fairly comfortable for the horns.)

We play a few tunes in odd keys, mostly rags and related music (Tin Pan
Alley type songs and such) - Berlin's Everybody's Doin' It in concert D is
awkward for the Bb horns for instance but we have played in worse keys than
this. It's fun to use different keys on almost every tune. Yes, F is
comfortable but sometimes I feel I have too much of it.

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES - violin teacher, ragtime pianist, manager
Kodaly School, Bohem Ragtime Jazzband, Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Address: Kecskemet-Hetenyegyhaza H-6044, Hullam u. 14.
Mailing address: Kecskemet H-6001, Pf. 652.
Cellular phone: +36(20)960-7169, Tel.: +36(76)509-178, Tel./Fax:
+36(76)472-438
E-mails: bohem@mail.datanet.hu, bohemragtime@hotmail.com
Website: http://www.bohemragtime.com/