[Dixielandjazz] What is it about the key of F

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:43:03 EST

--part1_6b.38d180f.2b1fd0e7_boundary

In a message dated 12/4/02 10:57:16 AM Central Standard Time,
jazzboard@hotmail.com writes:

> >The key of F is the average key.  Much like chord averaging and tune
> >averaging, if you take all of the keys (major and minor - natural, dorian
> >etc.) and average them together and divide by pi, you'll find that the key
> >of F is universal and can therefore be played on any tune, in any key, at
> >any time.

    Excuse me, but any key is universal. Any key can be used with any tune,
at any time.

    Some tunes are better suited to particular keys depending on the range of
the instrument or the voice.  Each key has a particular resonance and , for
example, the key of Db seems be richer than Eb and so both Armstrong and
Ellington would take a tune that usually was done in Eb and play it in Db.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_6b.38d180f.2b1fd0e7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 12/4/02 10:57:16 AM Central Standard Time, jazzboard@hotmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt;The key of F is the average key.&nbsp; Much like chord averaging and tune<BR>
&gt;averaging, if you take all of the keys (major and minor - natural, dorian<BR>
&gt;etc.) and average them together and divide by pi, you'll find that the key<BR>
&gt;of F is universal and can therefore be played on any tune, in any key, at<BR>
&gt;any time.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Excuse me, but any key is universal. Any key can be used with any tune, at any time.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Some tunes are better suited to particular keys depending on the range of the instrument or the voice.&nbsp; Each key has a particular resonance and , for example, the key of Db seems be richer than Eb and so both Armstrong and Ellington would take a tune that usually was done in Eb and play it in Db.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_6b.38d180f.2b1fd0e7_boundary--